The Sound and Music Computing Group of INESC Porto (http://smc.inescporto.pt) is happy to announce the opening of a
6-month graduate research fellowship (renewable up to 14 months) for the following research project: “ShakeIt – Mechanisms of Musical Groove and applications”.
Groove is the quality of music that makes people tap their feet, rock their head, and get up and dance.
In the ShakeIt project (http://smc.inescporto.pt/
- Computational modeling of groove features from audio.
- Empirical experiments with human participants to validate these features.
- Implementation of software for real-time generation/manipulation of polyphonic rhythmic sequences conveying the groove of a certain style, or for gradually changing the groove feel of a rhythmic sequence at run-time.
The researcher will join an international research team and will work directly with Matthew Davies, Carlos Guedes and Fabien Gouyon in Porto and Prof. Guy Madison in Umea (Sweden).
The researcher is expected to develop novel features for the computational description of groove in musical audio signals building on existing research at INESC Porto in beat tracking, rhythm classification, microtiming and groove estimation/transformation. These features will be systematically evaluated in comparison with the state of the art over large collections of audio data. The researcher will also collaborate on the development of a prototype for real-time
generation/manipulation of polyphonic rhythmic sequences.
Candidates should hold a diploma (minimum Bachelor’s degree) in Music Technology, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related area.
- Application period: 7th to 26th December 2011
- Duration of the grant: 6 months (renewable up to 14 months)
- The preferred start date is 01/01/2012 but this is negotiable
- Location: Porto, Portugal
- Working language: English
- Desired experience: Musical knowledge, experience with Max/MSP or Pd, C++ (MARSYAS considered a plus), any scripting language
- We seek candidates who are open-minded and creative.
For further information on the grant the application, please go to http://www2.inescporto.pt/ip-en/work-with-us/bolsas-inescporto/concurso-para-atribuicao-de-bolsa-no-ambito-do-projeto-shyakeit?set_language=en&cl=en
(in English), or http://www2.inescporto.pt/seja-nosso-colaborador/bolsas-inescporto/concurso-para-atribuicao-de-bolsa-no-ambito-do-projeto-shyakeit/ (in Portuguese).
Informal inquiries can be made directly to either Matthew Davies (email@example.com) or Fabien Gouyon (firstname.lastname@example.org).